- Halogen-free for eco-friendly footprint
- Serial ATA 3Gb/s
- Security: Bulk Data Encryption option
- Enhanced availability (EA) models for applications needing around-the-clock access in lower-transaction environments.
Reliable, high-capacity storage for mobile applications
- Travelstar™ 5K500.B, a 5400 RPM, 250GB/platter, 2.5-inch hard drive with capacities ranging from 120GB to 500GB, is designed for use in notebook PCs, external storage, gaming consoles and other mobile applications. The 5K500.B demonstrates Hitachi′s ecological leadership with its halogen-free production and focus on low power consumption, and carries the EcoTrac classification. The 5K500.B elevates hard drive reliability with the industry′s first Iterative Detection Read Channel for improved signal processing. Hitachi offers optional hard-drive-level encryption for increased data security and enhanced availability models to deliver high-capacity storage for non-stop environments. Travelstar 5K500.B delivers the balance of capacity, ruggedness and low-power to meet the needs of consumers and commercial users in an eco-friendly footprint.
- Travelstar 5K500.B features optional Bulk Data Encryption (BDE) for hard-drive-level data security. Hitachi is working with the Trusted Computing Group (TCG) to ensure that our new products are complaint with the forthcoming Storage Security specification that is expected to become an industry standard. With BDE, the data is scrambled using a key as it is written to the disk then descrambled with the key as it is retrieved, giving users the highest level of data protection available. It also speeds and simplifies the drive re-deployment process. By deleting the encryption key, the data is rendered unreadable, thereby eliminating the need for time-consuming data-overwrite.
Enhanced Availability (EA)?for 24x7 access to data
- Hitachi provides enhanced availability models that allow the Travelstar 5K500.B to deliver 24x7 access to data for data-intensive applications requiring round-the-clock operation. The 5K500.B provides high capacity, durability and low power utilization on a proven platform for quality and reliability. EA models support the stringent demands of always-on" applications in lower-transaction environments.